Sunday, August 30, 2009

Well...I bragged to Karen and Keaton yesterday evening about Karly not having to go back to the clinic until Thursday. After I finished typing that post, I went to checked on Karly and she was VERY warm. I took her temperature and she had a fever of 104.1. This is the first time she has had a fever! She kept telling me she was fine, but a fever of 104.1 is NOT fine when you have a good immune system much less when you have been going through chemo! I called the pediatric impatient unit and talked to the charge nurse, she then relayed everything to the doctors on call and called me back and told us to go to the ER.

We get to the ER and finally the nursing assistant comes to take Karly back for vital signs and when she comes back the the waiting room the pedi doctor is with her and says we are going to a room. So Lexie and I get up and start heading that way, well the nursing assistant decided she needed to act like she was the boss and starting throwing a fit because I had Lexie with me. I told her that I guess she had forgot that MD Anderson was a "family centered" treatment facility and if she wanted to sit in the waiting room and watch Lexie she was more than welcome to. Needless to say, she shut up and never came back around. Come to find out she had just got her butt chewed out by the pedi doctor because Karly's vitals had not even been taken and we had been there over 30 minutes and there was not anyone else waiting.

Karly's fever had dropped to 101.8 by the time they took it at the ER so that was some better. She had no other symptoms, just the fever. The ER nurse was GREAT, she started an IV and drew blood. A second set of lab work was ordered which meant more blood but this nurse was great. Karly's lab work came back ok. Her white count was low and had dropped from the labs that were drawn before she was discharged on Friday, but that is to be expected after chemo and she had not started her neupogen injections yet. They gave her Tylenol and we were discharged about 3am. Karly has continued to run a low fever today, but feels fine. I will call Dr. Herzog first thing in the morning and see what she wants to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment